Thursday, November 21, 2013

ich lerne deutsch


We've been particularly quiet here on Amraser Straße lately. It has only a little bit to do with the fact that we're both ready for bed by 7 p.m. because it's already been dark for 3 hours and seems much later. It mostly has to due with the fact that last week we received some unfortunate news...

There was a misunderstanding regarding what exactly needed to be done to obtain my visa. We (Andy, myself, the team) thought I needed to take a basic German course, get my certificate of completion, and BAM! the visa would be mine.

Das ist falsch. Sehr falsch. Last Tuesday, Andy and I unsuspectingly went into the visa office and proudly presented my certificate of completion. We were met with a blank and irritated stare. "How do I know if you speak German? Where is the test score?" asked the angry German man from behind the desk.

"Umm..." Many confused Deutslisch conversations, spent Euros, and fallen tears later, we found out language schools in Innsbruck periodically offer a government mandated exam and I needed to take it. Soon. The next exam would be offered on November 22nd and it would the last test available before my 90 day tourist visa expires. "No problem," I thought, "I aced my class, I'll be fine. Sign me up." Wrong again.

I'd just completed German A 1.1. The exam covers 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3. I was two courses worth of Deutsch short of where I should be. And the best - or worst - part is... I get one chance. If I pass, great, I get my visa. If I don't, they send me home.

Needless to say, the past week has been extremely productive in the Deutsch department yet exceedingly uneventful in most all others. My best friends as of late are my three German books, countless worksheets, verb conjugation flashcards, trusty Google Translate, and the crockpot, which has made eating decent meals in this trying time possible.

Tomorrow is D-Day. My Schriftlich Prüfung begins at 9 a.m. and my Mündlich Prüfung at 12 p.m. I'm hopeful results are delivered almost immediately after. I don't do well being "in limbo."

Wünscht mir Glück!

1 comment: